October 10, 2010

Hoodie for Jude

Fall seems to have migrated here to the Midwest. I'm embracing it with open arms. I love Fall. Crisp, clear and sunny with a touch of cold. It feels so good after the heat and humidity of summer.

As the weather gets colder though I'm realizing my little boy needed a very basic hoodie. Mostly because the other long sleeve, zip up sort of things he has are designed to go with specific outfits, which means they look a little ragamuffin (a term my Mom used to use when we would attempt to dress ourselves and do a very poor job) over any other outfit they're not designed for. Did that make any sense at all? If it did, great. If not, who cares.

I picked up a pattern at Hancock Fabrics. It's Kwik Sew 3811. Turned out to be a very good pattern. The jacket was a bit complicated - many separate pieces, some facing and a zipper - and there was one step in the directions that had me stumped for a good 45 minutes. But, overall I was very happy with the process and the result!

I used an old sweatshirt that I had thrown into my fabric stash. It provided just barely enough fabric.Which means, I had to get a little creative with it. For example, you'll notice there are seams that go down the length of the sleeve. And, there is an extra seam in the hood. But, these aren't too noticeable in the end. I also lined the jacket with gray. I like the contrast.

Now Jude has a simple hoodie for those crisp, Fall evenings.


Isn't he such a sweet boy? I think so.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love it!!!! It almost makes me want to learn to sew... almost...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable hoodie! You are so talented! I would love to be able to create original things like that for my girls, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience. I think I'll just stick to cakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby boy is SO lucky to have a mama like you! What a sweet creature you are...that's why I love you! :-) Happy Harvest Season...hoodies are great for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just amaze me, cousin! What a talented beautiful woman you are! I look forward to meeting little Jude in person someday (soon I wish)! Love the hoodie and his cute little muffin-face!! :-)

    ReplyDelete